University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, Colorado
Ph.D. candidate, fall 2013 – present
Supervisor: Dr. Brian Hynek
Committee: Dr. Alexis Templeton, Dr. Steve Mojzsis, Dr. Charles Stern, and Dr. Raina Gough
Areas of interest: Planetary geology, volcanology, geochemistry, field geology and terrestrial analog studies, astrobiology
State University of New York at Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, New York
Fall 2007 – Summer 2008
Program: Master of Science in Teaching* (Adolescent Education Grades 7-12, Earth Science)
* MST requirements completed, student teaching (certification requirement) incomplete due to employment at Skidmore College beginning September 2008
State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
Department of Geology; Master of Science; September 2006
Supervisor: Dr. Tracy Gregg
Committee: Dr. Marcus Bursik, and Dr. Michael Sheridan
Areas of interest: Planetary geology and volcanology
State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
Department of Geology; Bachelor of Arts; May 2004
Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, University at Buffalo Honors Scholar
University of Colorado at Boulder UCB 399, 2200 Colorado Avenue, Boulder, Colorado 80309
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics
Graduate Researcher, June 2014 – present
Graduate Teaching Assistant, August 2013 – June 2014
Courses taught: Geology 1030 Lab: Introduction to Physical Geology; Planetary Field Techniques
Introductory TA Coordinator, Spring 2014
Undergraduate Geology Tutor, Fall 2013
Graduate Teacher Program
Assistant Graduate Researcher for the Teaching Institute for Graduate Education and Research (TIGER) and Center for Integrated Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL) Liaison, Spring 2014
Duties include conducting videotape consultations for graduate TAs, and conducting, organizing, and proctoring training events and workshops for graduate students, faculty, and staff.
Front Range Community College Westminster and Brighton, Colorado
Adjunct Instructor, August 2014 – May 2015;
Courses taught: Introduction to Physical Geology
Skidmore College Department of Geoscience 815 North Broadway, Saratoga Springs, New York 12866
Senior Teaching Associate (full time faculty position), September 2008 – August 2013
Courses Taught: GE 101 Lecture/Lab: Earth Systems Science; GE 102 Lab: The History of Earth, Life, and Global Change; GE 112 Lab: Oceanography; GE 251: Special Topics in Geoscience: Volcanology (independent study); GE 371: Independent Study
Additional Responsibilities: Member of two departmental hiring committees, editor of department newsletter, department webmaster, organizing department events, recruiting majors and minors, assisting the officers of the Geology Club, and representing the department at college events.
Alpha Geoscience 679 Plank Road, Clifton Park, New York 12065
Geologist/Hydrogeologist, September 2007 – December 2007 (temporary, part-time)
Duties included data entry and processing, quality control and quality assurance, field work (water sample collection and well monitoring), report production, and creation and editing of field maps.
Malin Space Science Systems P.O. Box 910148, San Diego, California 92191-0148
Assistant Staff Scientist, July 2006 – June 2007
Performed weekly targeting of the Mars Global Surveyor Mars Orbiter Camera and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Context Camera. Created maps and other materials for use in present and future missions. Participated in and conducted ongoing research, and assisted other science team members with projects.
University at Buffalo Department of Geology 876 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, New York
Graduate Teaching Assistant, August 2004 – June 2006;
Courses taught: Geology 101 Lab: Global Environmental Science, Geology 313 Lab: Surface Processes and Hydrology II
University of Colorado Boulder
– Oversaw eight graduate teaching assistants and coordinated teaching efforts across sixteen lab sections for introductory geology.
– Conducted videotape consultations for graduate teaching assistants
– Assisted with lead graduate teaching assistant training
– Planned four-day STEM diversity training workshop for the Graduate Teacher Program
– Created new physical geology and oceanography labs to improve the lab portion and effectiveness of both courses.
– Course evaluation rankings consistently above the Skidmore College mean.
– Organized annual fall and spring barbeques to promote student involvement and a sense of community within the department.
– Organized 2009 Strock Lecture (Steve Squyres, “Roving Mars”), the most attended lecture in its 30 year history.
– Reinstated the department newsletter to showcase events, promote a sense of community, and reach out to department alumni.
– Redesigned department website to improve functionality.
– Created a department blog for faculty, students, and alumni to share their geoscience-related activities and to highlight their achievements.
Hudson Mohawk Professional Geologists Association Board Member (2012-2013)
Skidmore Geoscience Search Committee: Climatologist (Spring 2009)
Skidmore Campus Environment Committee (2009 – 2010)
Skidmore College Panel: Women in Academia (Fall 2010)
Skidmore Geoscience Department Webmaster (2008 – 2013)
Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research in Astrobiology ($5,000; Summer 2016)
Geological Society of America Graduate Research Grant ($1,875; Spring 2016)
NASA Astrobiology Institute and SETI Institute Lunar and Planetary Science Conference Travel Grant ($600; Spring 2016)
University of Colorado Boulder Graduate School Travel Grant ($300; Fall 2015)
University of Colorado Boulder Geology Department Graduate Research Shell Grant ($2,000; Summer 2015)
University of Colorado Boulder Geology Department Travel Grant ($750; Spring 2015)
Geological Society of America
American Geophysical Union
American Association for the Advancement of Science
KnowItAll (Raman data processing)
TerraSpec 4 High Resolution, and TerraSpec Halo Gun Portable Visible Near Infrared (VNIR) Spectrometers
Horiba LabRAM HR Evolution Raman Microscope-Spectrometer
Terra Portable X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) Analyzer
JEOL JXA-8230 Superprobe (Electron microprobe)